SALES ASSOCIATE : Job details
Job Type: Part – time
Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operates more than 18,000 stores in 47 states, and we’re still growing.
SALES ASSOCIATE: GENERAL SUMMARY:
The Sales Associate acts as a point of contact for our customers. The duties of the Sales Associate include assisting customers in locating and purchasing merchandise, operating the cash register, stocking merchandise, recovering merchandise, cleaning the store, and performing other duties as assigned by the Store Manager to maximize store profitability and customer satisfaction while protecting company assets.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide excellent customer service, greet and assist customers.
- Operate cash register and scanner to itemize and total customer’s purchase, collect payment from customers and make change, bag merchandise, and assist customers with merchandise as necessary.
- Follow company merchandise processes; unpack, stock, restock, and rotate merchandise on shelves and build merchandise displays.
- Clean the store, take out trash, dust and mop store floors, clean restroom and receiving room, and help set up sidewalk displays.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS: SALES ASSOCIATE
- Effective interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of safety policies and practices.
- Ability to read and follow planogram and merchandise presentation guides.
- Knowledge of basic cash handling procedures.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Ability to perform cash register functions.
- Ability to stock merchandise.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION: SALES ASSOCIATE
High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Frequent walking and standing
- Frequent bending, stooping, and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks, which may also require the ability to push and/or pull roll trainers for stocking merchandise
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as handheld scanners, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, U-boats (six-wheel carts), and roll trainers
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds
- Occasional climbing (using step ladder) up to heights of six feet
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions
Diversity Inclusion at Dollar General
Building a culture that respects the dignity and differences in others is driving our success. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is supported through our actions, decisions and initiatives. At Dollar General our mission of serving others includes everyone.
“At DG, we believe high performing teams are built by bringing together individuals with diverse background and perspectives and ensuring those experiences and perspectives are heard and valued. This belief makes DG a great place to build a career and drivers our growth and success.
We remain steadfast in our commitment to embedding diversity, equity, and inclusion across the entire company, so that together, we can better serve our customers, communities and each other every day.”
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Other jobs that Dollar Generals offers
Customer focus is the driving force behind our operations and support functions. Our founders led this charge at Dollar General’s inception, and it has been translated into a statement of purpose for the organization.
Sales Associate applications are accepted online or at our stores. Individual stores hire and manage their own part-time and full-time employees.
Distribution Center Careers
The distribution network is an integral component of our retail business operation, as nearly all items that reach our store shelves pass through one of our 17 distribution centers. Distribution Center employees are responsible for receiving, warehousing, and shipping the products you see in our stores every day. The distribution Center accepts hourly applications locally, which are clerical and material handling positions.
DG also offer zero cost Tuition Program
Dollar General has collaborated with strayer University and Capella University to align the cost of select associate and bachelor’s degree programs to Dollar General’s tuition scholarship program. This means you will have the opportunity to pursue and eligible degree for low to no out-of-pocket costs.
Area of study include:
- Business Administration
- Health services administration
- Human Resource Management
- Information Assurance and cybersecurity
- Information Technology